Oleh : Cintapoker
New breakfast trend alert! Custard toast (aka, yogurt toast), a delicious, protein forward sweet breakfast toast you might have seen on tiktok, is here to stay.
It comes together quickly in a toaster over or air fryer and is full of protein to keep you full. If you’re a person who likes a sweet breakfast, this is the toast for you.
Custard toast is all over Tiktok and after seeing literally everyone and their grandma make it, I decided to give it a go. I love custard and I especially love toast of all kinds so it seemed like a match made in heaven.
What is custard toast?
Custard toast (sometimes referred to as yogurt toast) is a breakfast-y take on cheesecake using ingredients most people have at home. I’m not sure who the first person to make it was, but I’ve definitely seen Moody Day’s Tiktok floating around a lot! Essentially, a piece of fluffy bread is is flattened in the middle, then filled with a sweetened yogurt egg mix. Top it with fruit, bake it in the oven until the bread is crisp and toasty and the custard sets and you’re good to go! Almost like dessert for breakfast but a bit more healthy. Creamy, sweet, and a little crunchy, with fruit for freshness it almost tastes like a cross between a danish and french toast.
How to make custard toast
- Squish. Use the back of a spoon to make a depression in the middle of a slice of bread so the custard has a little pool to sink into.
- Mix. In a bowl, mix together greek yogurt, an egg, and a bit of sweetener or choice until smooth.
- Fill. Add the custard mix to the little bed you made in the bread.
- Top. Add some sliced fruit on top – anything goes!
- Bake. Bake until the custard is set and the toast is crisp. You can do this in a toaster oven or the air fryer.
Custard toast ingredients
- Bread – a fluffy bread is best. I love fluffy white milk bread or shokupan that you can find at Asian bakeries or grocery stores. Brioche works exceptionally well and challah is lovely. I wouldn’t go for sourdough just because they have a lot of holes and work better as savory toasts.
- Yogurt – I like to use plain Greek yogurt but you can use your favorite yogurt to add a underlying hint of flavor. You don’t need a huge amount of yogurt, just 2 tablespoons or so.
- Egg – The egg is what makes it custard-y, use a good quality egg!
Sweetener – you can use sugar, brown sugar, honey, or whatever sweetener you like. I tend to sweeten to taste, with about 2 tsp sugar, but go for more or less depending on your sweet tooth.
- Toppings – This is where your creativity can shine! The most common topping on yogurt toast is fruit. You can do berries, sliced apples, bananas, oranges, peaches, plums, any fruit, really. You can also do chocolate, crushed up cookies, or a bit of granola!
It’s super easy to do custard toast in the air fryer and it gets really crunchy. Just prep your toast and pop it in the toaster oven at 400°F for 10 minutes.
All it takes is 10-12 minutes in the toaster oven at 400°F.
Enjoy your custard toasts! My favorite combo so far has been raspberries with a crushed up Biscoff cookie. SO GOOD.
Custard Toast Recipe
If you’re a person who likes a sweet breakfast, this is the toast for you.
- 2 slices bread of choice
- 2 tbsp greek yogurt
- 1 eggs
- 1 tbsp sugar or honey
- toppings of choice
Custard Toast Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 23
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 0.7g4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.