Oleh : Cintapoker
Juicy chicken is covered in creamy Madeira sauce, melty cheese, mushrooms, and asparagus in this easy skillet recipe! Chicken Madeira brings all of those delicious Cheesecake Factory flavors right to your kitchen!
Looking for more tasty skillet recipes? Queso chicken, Salisbury steak, and chicken cacciatore are just a few of my favorites! They’re super easy to make and even easier to clean up!
Creamy Chicken Madeira Recipe
Cheesecake Factory is easily one of my top 3 favorite restaurants. I love the variety in their menu and how hearty everything is! Although, I really need to branch out because I get their chicken Madeira almost every time I go. Because I love it so much, I decided to try making it at home for the whole family! It turned out better than I could have ever hoped!
It all starts with chicken breasts seasoned with Italian herbs. Then, they get smothered with the most amazing, creamy Madeira wine sauce! Top it all off with flavorful mushrooms, melty mozzarella, tender asparagus, and voila! A knockout dinner! I like to add my Chicken Madeira to a bed of mashed potatoes. The creamy sauce doubles as a gravy! And as if you’re not already convinced, this tasty dinner is a one-pan recipe so cleanup is a breeze!
What You’ll Need to Make It
In order to make this saucy, cheesy goodness, you’ll need each of the following ingredients. You probably have a lot of the ingredients ready to go in your kitchen right now! All you’ve got to do is pick up a bottle of Madeira and get cooking! All measurements can be found below in the recipe card.
- Asparagus: Look for a stalk with vibrant green color, free of brown spots or blemishes.
- Chicken Breast: I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts here. I like to thinly slice them because it helps them cook at the same rate.
- Italian Seasoning: Italian seasoning is a must for seasoning meats! You can make your own blend at home with just a few simple herbs and spices. Find my full recipe here!
- Salt and Pepper: Adds a little extra flavor to your chicken.
- Olive Oil: Used to cook up chicken and vegetables.
- Onion: Diced onion adds the best pop of flavor!
- Mushrooms: I used sliced cremini mushrooms because they have a mild, meaty flavor. They’re perfect in chicken Madeira!
- Garlic Cloves: Minced to add tasty savory flavor throughout the dish.
- Flour: Used to coat the vegetables.
- Madeira Wine: This is the star of the show! Madeira wine is what gives this dish its distinct flavor. If you’re struggling to find it, sherry, port, and red wine work as substitutes.
- Beef Broth: Used for cooking the mushrooms in and adding a meaty base to the sauce.
- Shredded Mozzarella: Adds the perfect layer of creamy, melty goodness.
How to Make Chicken Madeira at Home
You can make chicken Madeira at home in 5 easy steps! In less than 30 minutes, you’ll have this tasty meal ready to eat! That gives you time to whip up some Cheesecake Factory copycat avocado egg rolls as a side!
- Blanch Asparagus: To begin, fill a large skillet with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Add the asparagus and blanch for 2-3 minutes. Remove and drain asparagus and put in an ice bath.
- Season and Cook Chicken: Sprinkle Italian seasoning, salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken breast. Add olive oil to the skillet and cook the chicken on medium high heat for 5-6 minutes each side or until golden brown and heated through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Cook Vegetables: Add in olive oil, onion, mushrooms and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until almost tender. Add the flour to the veggies and stir until coated.
- Prepare Sauce: Add in the Madeira wine and bring to a boil and simmer until reduced about 5 minutes. Add in the beef broth and simmer until sauce has started to thicken.
- Add Chicken, Top With Cheese: Add the chicken back to the skillet with the asparagus. Top with cheese and broil in the oven until melted and bubbly. Serve over mashed potatoes if desired.
Tips for Making Chicken Madeira
Get that restaurant-quality flavor with these easy tips and tricks! Chicken Madeira is so hearty and full of tender vegetables, I’m sure you’ll love it as much as I do!
- Check Temperature: I always like to use a thermometer to gauge if my chicken is done or not. Your chicken is ready to eat when internal temperatures reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook it any longer than that and it may become dry.
- Switch Vegetables: Instead of asparagus, you can use other vegetables like green beans or broccoli.
- Adding Cream: If you’re wanting a creamier sauce, add a splash of heavy cream to your beef broth mixture.
I typically serve my chicken Madeira over mashed potatoes since that’s how it’s prepared at Cheesecake Factory. However, you can also serve this tasty dish over pasta or rice as well. In typical Cheesecake Factory fashion, don’t forget the bread and salad to complete your meal!
Chicken Madeira is great for leftovers! This saucy dish keeps well for a quick and hearty weekday lunch.
- In the Refrigerator: Store leftover chicken and vegetables in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- In the Freezer: Store chicken, vegetables, and any extra sauce in separate freezer bags. They’ll stay good for 2-3 months. Allow to thaw in the fridge overnight before use.
- Reheating: I recommend reheating your chicken and vegetables in a covered skillet to retain moisture. Warm on medium-low heat until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
Fill a large skillet with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Add the asparagus and blanch for 2-3 minutes. Remove and drain asparagus and put in an ice bath.
Sprinkle Italian seasoning, salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken breast. Add olive oil to the skillet and cook the chicken on medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes each side or until golden brown and heated through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
Add in olive oil, onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until almost tender. Add the flour to the veggies and stir until coated.
Add in the Madeira wine and bring to a boil and simmer until reduced about 5 minutes. Add in the beef broth and simmer until sauce has started to thicken.
Add the chicken back to the skillet with the asparagus. Top with cheese and broil in the oven until melted and bubbly. Serve over mashed potatoes if desired.
Calories444kcal (22%)Carbohydrates17g (6%)Protein36g (72%)Fat17g (26%)Saturated Fat5g (25%)Polyunsaturated Fat2gMonounsaturated Fat8gTrans Fat1gCholesterol95mg (32%)Sodium543mg (23%)Potassium1037mg (30%)Fiber4g (16%)Sugar6g (7%)Vitamin A1103IU (22%)Vitamin C12mg (15%)Calcium221mg (22%)Iron4mg (22%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.