Saunf or fennel seeds are known for their medicinal properties and used widely to alleviate symptoms of indigestion, bloating, and acidity since ancient times. This aromatic spice which finds a significant place in Indian kitchens, is also popularly used as a mouth freshener. You would have noticed how your mom adds saunf to add flavour and aroma to curries and pickles. But wait, you would be surprised to find out that saunf’s benefits are not limited to medicinal or culinary purpose, it’s also been found to boost weight loss. With no side effects, saunf is a spice that is safe to consume when trying to lose weight. So, let’s find out how fennel seeds actually help the weight loss process and different ways to consume them.
Weight Loss Benefits of Consuming Fennel Seeds/Saunf:
1. Acts as a diuretic, reduces water retention.
2. Alleviates bloating and indigestion.
3. Good for gut health.
4. Good source of minerals – manganese, phosphorus, selenium, zinc, copper are trace minerals that improve insulin resistance and reduce appetite. Copper for example is essential in fat metabolism and helps to absorb iron, develop connective tissue and support the immune system. It is also essential for breaking down fat cells so that they can be used for energy. Research says that more fat molecules are broken down with adequate copper in the body. Also read: “10 Minerals and Vitamins That Boost Metabolism.”
5. Antioxidants like beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin in fennel seeds fight free radicals and reduce cellular damage.
6. Contains vitamin C, E, and K.
7. Helps break down carbs and fats in the body.
8. Flushes out toxins, purifies blood.
9. Good source of fiber, promotes feeling of fullness.
10. Boosts metabolism.
11. Curbs appetite – releases essential oils which helps in suppressing hunger.
12. Contains compounds such as estragole, fenchone and anethole that help secrete gastric enzymes which in turn boost digestive health, good for gut.
All these benefits of fennel seeds add up, boosting weight loss efforts, when someone is on a calorie-deficit diet like Rati Beauty diet and consistent with exercise.
Now that we are clear about the benefits of having fennel seeds, read about Ways To Consume Fennel Seeds To Boost Weight Loss.
1. Fennel Seed Churan: Along with other potent ingredients like fenugreek seeds and asafoetida, fennel seed powder can be made into a churan powder to improve digestion. Here’s how you can make this churan: Take 4 tbsp saunf, 2 tbsp ajwain, 2 tbsp jeera, 1 tsp methi seeds, 1 tsp hing, 1 tsp black salt, and honey for sweetness. Roast all the dry ingredients except asafoetida and honey on low flame till they release their aromatic flavour. After the ingredients cool down, make them all into a powder form. Mix black salt and honey into the powder, and make small balls out of these. Store in a dry jar and consume one per day.
2. Soak Fennel Seeds in Water Overnight: Soak 1 tbsp of saunf in a bit of water overnight. In the morning, boil 1 glass of water and add the water to soaked saunf. Strain the liquid and consume on empty stomach.
3. Fennel Tea: You can replace your regular cup of chai with this flavourful fennel tea. Along with ginger and mint, it is great for your digestive health and relieves all gastric issues, and boosts metabolism as well. To make this tea, take 1 tbsp of fennel seeds, 1/4 inch grated ginger, a few mint leaves, and 1/2 tbsp of honey, along with water. Boil one cup of water, add saunf and ginger into it. Allow it to boil for a few minutes, switch off the flame, and strain the liquid into a cup. Add mint leaves, and let it infuse for 5 minutes. Your cup of fennel tea is now ready!
4. Roasted Fennel Seeds: The easiest way to consume fennel seeds is to roast them on medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes or until they become aromatic or light brown in color. Powder them and transfer into an air-tight jar and have a pinch or two right after your meal.
Spices like fennel, ginger, turmeric, black pepper have amazing benefits, but do not forget, diet and exercise are of supreme importance when trying to lose weight, so eat healthy food and do practice portion control.
10 Spices that Boost the Weight Loss Process
10 Minerals and Vitamins That Boost Metabolism